Spring and summer usher in the season of growth. Ideally, it is characterized by well-manicured lawns with lush, green grass and blossoming flowers. However, the grass and weeds will grow out of control if you don’t take proper care of your lawn, giving your home a shabby curb appeal. Here is a brief lawn maintenance checklist to ensure that your lawn looks picturesque throughout spring and summer.
Lawn Maintenance Tasks
It is advisable to start working on your lawn as early as possible – ideally, during the first or second weeks of spring. Use this lawn maintenance list to plan your care plan and maintenance schedule throughout the rest of the season:
Week One Tasks
- Prune dead and broken branches from trees and shrubs
- Remove weeds and unwanted groundcover
- Aerate and dethatch the soil to revive weak lawns
- Repair dead patches
Week Two Tasks
- Plant seeds for your desired plants
- Apply spring fertilizer
Weekly or Daily Tasks
- Mow regularly and leave the clippings on the lawn.
- Water daily (or as often as needed).
Spring is the best time to overseed your lawn in Ontario in anticipation of summer’s sunshine. It is worth noting that your weekly spring lawn care plan will depend on your plants’ needs.
Garden Maintenance List
Your garden can sprout all types of vegetables, colourful flowers, and other types of plants that thrive in Ontario’s weather with proper care and maintenance. Ideally, your garden maintenance list should include some or all of the following tasks:
Week One Tasks
- Remove weeds, shrubs, and old mulch
- Treat and fertilize the soil using organic matter
- Apply mulch to the beds
Week Two Tasks
- Plant flowers and vegetables appropriate for the season (week two).
- Fertilize the garden
Ideally, you should water the garden twice daily and check for weeds at least twice per week. Ultimately, your weekly garden maintenance schedule will depend on the unique characteristics of the types of flowers and plants you have.
Interested in learning more about our residential maintenance services? Contact us today and we would be happy to assist!
Grass Care Schedule
Taking care of lawn grass is a process, and every step of the process has an impact on the grass’s condition. It is advisable to factor in the following maintenance tasks when developing your grass care plan:
- Dethatch entangled grass and clean the debris.
- Apply pre-emergent herbicides to kill and repel pests.
- Test the soil and apply the recommended type and amount of fertilizer.
- Loosen the soil for aeration.
- Overseed to replace dead grass, especially on broken and dead patches.
Failure to follow this procedure may get you undesired results. For example, weeds will grow out of control if you don’t apply pre-emergent herbicide before applying fertilizer.
Yard Work List
Every aspect of your yard works together to complete your home’s curb appeal. General yard maintenance tasks include:
- Mowing the grass at least once per week.
- Weeding as often as needed.
- Cutting clean lines along the edges.
- Watering as often as needed, ideally every morning.
- Removing crabgrass and repairing dead spots and pet damage.
Essentially, your weekly yard care and maintenance plan should be a combination of all the lawn and garden care tasks listed.
Caring for your lawn sounds like a lot of work – it can be, especially if you don’t have the time to spare and lack the necessary handy skills. Fortunately, Breakaway Landscaping is always here to help. We offer comprehensive landscaping services in Mississauga and Oakville including lawn care and maintenance. Get in touch today to learn more about how we can help.